New research shows incredible opportunity for small businesses, adding urgency to the message. Social media is changing small business for the better, according to Phil Mershon at Social Media Examiner.
Social media marketing is a rapidly changing environment, but the good news is that customers are embracing social media as a normal part of their lives. Even the over-50 population is adapting at staggering rates.
The following 26 stats should impress upon you the importance of developing a social media strategy for your business. Not sure how? We can help.
- There are now more than 800 million active Facebook users, with over 200 million added in 2011.
- Over 80% of all Americans use a social network.
- Americans spend more time on Facebook than any other U.S.website.
- Approximately 40% of social media users access their accounts through mobile devices.
- Nearly 23% of online time is spent on social networks. That's 15 minutes for every hour!
- Facebook is the top destination among social networks and blogs.
- Social media users are more active and influential offline.
- More than half of Facebook users log in every day – that’s more than 400 million people.
- The average user has 130 friends and is connected to 80 pages, events and groups.
- There are 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, etc…).
- Facebook hosts over 7 million apps, and over 20 million apps are downloaded each day.
- Around 75% of Facebook users are outside of North America with accounts available in 70 languages.
- Comscore released a study earlier this year that showed how business brands that post at least once every day will reach 22% of their fans in a given week.
- Experian estimates that 91% of online American adults (approx. 129 million) access some form of social media each month.
- And get this: 98% of 18- to 24-year-olds access social accounts monthly.
- This confirms their stat that college towns log on to Facebook the most.
- The average Facebook user spends 20 minutes on his or her account during each visit.
- A majority of Facebook users log in 3-4 times per week.
- One out of 5 social network users is likely to visit another social site after leaving one.
- The 3 most important reasons small businesses leverage social media are:
- Connecting with customers
Go visit Social Media Examiner to see this post with a lot of pretty pictures to convince you. If you're not convinced yet, what are you waiting for? Social media is the new norm in small business marketing. If you're not quite there yet, we can help.
- Creative Marketing Genius & founder of iNvision Studios Web Marketing, Sherm Stevens has spent the past 20 years helping SMBs, non-profits and other clients with creative marketing solutions. iNvision Studios offers a mix of technical, creative and marketing services, giving small businesses the opportunity to increase their inbound customer traffic with an SEO-optimized web site, social network marketing, local search marketing, mobile-optimized websites, PPC advertising, and mobile marketing.